Get Started with Scaled Agile!
See typical client engagement profiles for popular services such as a Scaled Agile Transformation Planning, Scaled Agile QuickStarts, and Enterprise Training Plan for Scaling Agile. Engagement Profiles may be customized to fit your exact needs. Contact us to discuss a solution that is right for your organization.
Scaled Agile Transformation Planning
Transformations require organizational and cultural changes, not just an understanding of a new methodology. Icon has an established and proven approach to facilitate Agile and SAFe transformations.
The successful assessment, definition, and implementation of Enterprise-level Agile methodologies are specialties of Icon. These methodologies address the processes and best practices for Portfolio, Program, and Team management. Included in Icon's specialties are the effective training, coaching, organizational change management, and tools implementation required to plan for and achieve a successful and, most importantly, sustainable transformation.
- Agile readiness review and Assessments to understand current situation
- Establishing a shared vision for the future and creating a roadmap to get there
- Engaging with all stakeholders to set expectations and address concerns
- Transformation planning and preparation
- Transformation kick-off with consulting, facilitation and embedded coaching
- Team Level coaching and mentoring
- Program and Portfolio Level coaching and mentoring
- Measuring progress with meaningful metrics and adapting as necessary
- Transformation plan / roadmap
- Training for executives, managers, leaders and team members
- Possibly establish or transform centers of excellence / communities of practice
- Minimum: 1 week quick start, 10 - 20 weeks to support 1 or 2 program increments
- Typically: 3 months to 3 years
Launch Agile Release Train (ART) Quickstart Program
This five-day program is intended for those larger enterprises who need to apply scalable lean and agile development methods in order to increase the productivity, quality, value delivery and strategic alignment of their software development.
- Building a predictable model for rolling-wave release planning, objective setting, program execution and adaptive feedback which provides a continuous flow of value to the user or marketplace.
- Train up to 50-125 team members, (typically organized in to 8-12 Scrum teams for a common program), in the principles of Scaling Software Agility and the implementation of SAFe Scrum XP in an enterprise context.
- Align the team to a common enterprise mission and product backlog and plan for the first release or Potentially Shippable Increment (PSI, 8-12 weeks) of value through software. Establish iteration plans and measurable PSI objectives.
- Introduce prospective Product Owners and Scrum Masters to the principles and practices unique to their role in the Lean-Agile enterprise.
Enterprise Training Plan for Scaling Agile
Build your skills to Discover, Collaborate and Succeed. In addition to off-the-self training, Icon offers customized onsite Instructor lead classes and workshops. If you are a larger organization, Icon has creative ways to save cost (such as remote training or licensing materials for in-house training programs).
- Agile - Icon's consultants have been applying and teaching others to apply iterative and agile techniques for more than 21 years, across many types of organizations. We offer a full range of Agile courses for individual roles and for Agile teams.
- SAFe - As a SAFe Gold Agile Partner, Icon offers both open enrollment public and private SAFe courses. Icon's Agile Coaches are certified SAFe Program Consultants (SPCs) and SAFE Program Consultant Trainers (SPCTs).
- DAD - Icon consultants are DAD certified. Our partnership allows for direct access to the thought leaders and support for training and coaching in DAD.
- Iterative Project Management
- Requirements Management with Use Cases and User Stories
- Software Development Processes
- QA & Testing
- Discuss and evaluate training requirement
- Consider the need for possible content customization
- Present class materials - lectures, labs, demos
- 2 to 4 week lead time desired. Classes range from 1 to 5 days, including suggestions for additional consulting services , as needed.
Scaling Agile Workshop
Working with executives, key stakeholders, and program management to develop a strategy as well as a roadmap and implementation approach.
- Review Organizational Structure
- Present overview of SAFe, DAD or other applicable scaling framework
- Conduct Interviews, Perform Readiness Assessment
- Facilitate discussions to define strategy and implementation approach
- Conduct Retrospective
- Strategy summary
- Roadmap and implementation approach
- 1 week
Tool Assessment and Evaluation
Icon will work with you to fully understand how you use your tools today and how you need them to be used in the future. We use a process-centric assessment and approach for the tool evaluation. We look not only at the features of the various tools, but also consider how they will be used in your projects, then we work with the selected tool vendors to determine their capabilities to meet these needs and to make a recommendation.
Following the tool selection, Icon can support tool adoption, including appropriate user training and coaching to help associate new practices with various tool-based capabilities.
In addition to helping you choose the right tool Icon is often able to help you save on tool licensing costs if your choice is one of our vendor partners. (We are unbiased in our assessment and evaluation.)
- Validate scope of tool influence
- Build a model of all processes in the desired end-state
- Identify gaps between current-state and end-state models to help focus criteria
- Create evaluation templates that are process-based
- Prepare sample data
- Run trials, request demos
- Evaluation based on criteria, tool recommendation / selection
- Provide coaching to help transition user community to new tooling
- Tool assessment – 1 to 2 weeks
- Follow-on tool coaching - Minimum of 1 month to mature tool-based practices, based on assessment recommendation.
Agile Readiness and Process Assessment
Assessment, definition and implementation of improved and integrated software process and practices, along with training, coaching, and tools implementation, are particular specialties within Icon. We have successfully performed numerous engagements undergoing process and technology changes.
Assessment Activities include:
- Self-Assessment survey
- Onsite interviews
- Review of current processes, practices and work products
- Review of current plans, backlogs, metrics, and tools
- Evaluate resource requirements and skills
- Develop and present findings and recommendations
- Executive Summary and high-level roadmap
- Findings and recommendations
- 1 - 4 weeks
Process Definition and Improvement
Customization and refinement of current practices and introduction of new practices based on current industry standards and best practices. These improvements are realized by analysis of the results of an assessment and development of a customized roadmap.
- Assessment to enhance understanding
- Process, roles and artifact definition
- Develop a detailed roadmap and communication plan for completing the work
- Create templates and/or checklists to support process and artifacts
- Customization of training and guidance materials
- Guidance materials
- Training delivery plan
- Coaching plan
- 1 to 6 months